Search results

Phurnasite Plant Workers
Phurnasite Plant Workers (20140590)
Brian Evans leaving presentation, his bit of memorabilia presented to him, that he is holding ...is his seat that he sat in..... 1 Steve Chinook. 2 Les Owens. 3 Eric Lewis, 4 Brian Evans. 5 Dai Middle. 6 Clive (melt) Thomas. 7 Dob Bird. 8 Andrew ?. 9 Stuart (Acid) ?. 10 Dennis Phillips. 11 Nigel Jarvis. 12 (Spook). 13 Alun Jones. 14 Roger Atkins (bent copper). 15 Alex C (crane driver). 16 ?. 17 Dickey Langstone. 18 David (doc) Berry. 19 John ?. 20 Brian Meredith. 21 Dennis Hole. 22 Ray Griffiths. 23 Pat Lineham. 24 Brian Phillips. 25 Danny ?. 26 Graham Richards (the dude). 27 Rob Williams. 28 Whuttle ?.29 Malcolm Hag. 30 David Phillips. 31 Roger Thomas. 32 Idrys ?. 33 ?. 34 Dicky ?. 35 Keith Haslam. 36 ?. 37 ?. 38 ?. 39 Idwal (slashy) Morgan. 40 ?. 41 Man on Gantry ?...... (R.C.T.Librares )
Canal Trip to Mountain Ash
Canal Trip to Mountain Ash (20130553)
One of those amazing very old pictures... (C/V Remembered)
What old roads are made of
What old roads are made of (2013267)
The composition of the old road leading past Farrell’s and across the river includes various-sized pieces of iron-smelt slag from Crawshay Bailey’s works next door. There used to be a large chunk of it on the side of the road leading up to North View Terrace (on the left hand side of the top bridge) which must have weighed about half a ton. (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
rivers Transport
rivers Transport (20130523)
This is a picture of the original Abercwmboi Village, the farm that was there was used by Rivers Transport for many years (R.C.T. Libraries)
West of the River Cynon
West of the River Cynon (2013216)
West of the River Cynon - Aberaman side of the Ynys. Meadow Pit (also known as Ynys Pit) was located nearby. St Elvan’s in the distance. (Gerald Richards)
eyeview
eyeview (2013166)
Horse-eye view: From a horse’s point of view – or, rather, from the driver’s point of view –approaching the Cardiff Road-Lewis Street junction by the Plough (circa late 1880s-mid 90s). The large stain on the road leading down to Lewis Street shows that the street watering-cart has already been - damping down the dust and washing away the spent fuel residue of the horse power. A fairly new Libanus Chapel (built 1876) can be seen a little further down on the left. The bill-board canvas is the rear wall of the Oxford Inn (later the Royal Exchange), which closed in 1934. Tom Mann’s car showroom came later as a window dressing for his Exchange and Grange Garages (then Exchange Garages) in Lewis Street: later still, it became a carpet shop, and then a kitchen and bathroom showroom/shop. (photo: courtesy RCT Libraries – blurb: Gerald Richards) (photo: RCT - blurb: Gerald Richards)
The old bridge, Aberaman
The old bridge, Aberaman (2013493)
The old Aberaman Bridge (drawing by one of the Bacon sisters, 29 September 1827). The houses would later become Bell Place, on Farm Road; and Forge Row would later be built on the other side of the bridge. The river seems to follow the same course as it does today. There is a building on the other side of the road (at the top end of the houses), with thatched roof and what looks like wood-shuttered windows. Could this be a part of the mill-house that Alun was on about? Or could it have been where the eponymous houses, above Forge Row are today? On the other hand, the latter may have been so-named (like Foundry, Forge, Bell, etc.) because of the rolling mills that were integral to the ironworks. The only mention I can find of Aberaman Mill is that written by a correspondent to the Cardiff and Merthyr Guardian (2 July 1853) in his comments on the roads in the valley ‘up to the year 1790.’ Travelling by horse and gig, he describes the relevant part of his journey thus: ‘There was no road then through the Dyffryn or Aberaman grounds to the village, except by crossing the river below Dyffryn House (where the Mountain Ash Comp is today), and mounting far up through the Craig isha and Aberwmboi Woods, then descending to the Aberaman Mill, and thence through the bed of a brook by Abergwawr and Ynislwyd, entering the village (Aberdare) where the Black Lion now stands!’ (photo: RCT Libraries - blurb: Gerald Richards)
A river runs through it
A river runs through it (2013487)
A river runs through it . . . The moody River Cynon flows gently past the aptly named Glancynon Terrace. Not always known for its sweet charms, the Cynon has done a ‘Monte Carlo’ on quite a few occasions in the past, breaking the banks and creating havoc as far down as Mountain Ash. (Gerald Richards)
the Aman River
the Aman River (2013413)
Flow gently, sweet afon - the Aman River (photo: Alun) (Alun)
Tramcar
Tramcar (20120154)
1929 Tramcar from Trecynon to Abercwmboi, stopped outside 'The Plough' Aberaman Libanus chapel is on the right. Don’t let the upper deck pin-stripe jackets fool you – it’s the wires of the safety guard. The washing-line advert on the side reads: Puritan Soap – Soft White Hands; Snow White Clothes. Not sure about the driver/conductor – I know the bus is parked outside the Plough, but is he changing the destination board, playing a trumpet, or having a quick one? Anyway, it’s thirsty work, this tram business – fares, please! (R.C.T. Libraries (blurb: Alun and Gerald))
Old map of Abercwmboi
Old map of Abercwmboi (20120009)
map of the early 1800s showing the original village of Abercwmboi, that was in existence before the village of Cap Coch was built in the mid 1850s, (no lake) the pit was within its boundary. The stream named the Boi is shown on the right hand side of the Pit and that's where the name Abercwmboi came from, "Mouth - of the River - Boi", also the boundary of Aberdare Parish and Llanwonno Parish is marked. (OS map )