Search results

The Boot Hote (1912)
The Boot Hote (1912) (20160006)
The Boot Hotel in better times another building that has been empty for quite a time (2016 February my note written)most town people are very concerned it will be knocked down, the same as many well known building have already.... (R.C.T Libraries-Alun. )
The Black Lion Hotel, Aberdare
The Black Lion Hotel, Aberdare (20160005)
This is a picture recording the Hotel in its better days, it has been empty for some time, and people are concerned that it may go the way of other well known buildings in the town of Aberdare (R.C.T Libraries-Alun. )
The Quees Hotel, Canon St, Aberdare
The Quees Hotel, Canon St, Aberdare (20160003)
One of the grand Hotels in the valley, Where you could rent a Hansom Cab by the day, now its 'Burtons the Taylors Shop.. (R.C.T Libraries-Alun. )
The War Memorial, Aberdare
The War Memorial, Aberdare (20160001)
Built 1922...War Memorial, Victoria Square , Aberdare, known locally as the Cenotaph. (R.C.T Libraries )
1 st W.W. pictures of Abercwmboi people
1 st W.W. pictures of Abercwmboi people (20140122)
Taken from the 'Aberdare Leader' (History Group)
The Leather Stores.
The Leather Stores. (20140589)
You could smell the 'Leather' 6 shops away, one of Aberdare's very popular shops, always made a visit, always bought some thing. (Alun)
the Palldium Canon St, Aberdare
the Palldium Canon St, Aberdare (20140588)
The palladium in Canon St Aberdare, a casualty of town planning, demolished June 2014. (Alun)
Old Boundary Line, Abercwmboi.
Old Boundary Line, Abercwmboi. (20140575)
Was the boundary line between the parish of Aberdare & Llanwonno (Alun)
Nurse James The Midwife
Nurse James The Midwife (20130579)
This lady is Lois's Grandmother and Lois has given us a report on this event from the Aberdare Leader of 14th Feb 1925, but its a bit too big we are rewriting it at this time....Alun (Lois Davies, nee Hillman)
Description of the Institute
Description of the Institute (2013289)
A description of Aberaman Institute (Aberdare Leader - 19 June 1909)
Aberaman Hall and Institute
Aberaman Hall and Institute (2013286)
Aberaman Hall and Institute - opening the Grand (photo: RCT Libraries; text: Aberdare Leader 1915)
The Old Days
The Old Days (2013285)
Old Aberdare – the old days (Aberdare Leader - 2 August 1913)
New lamps for old!
New lamps for old! (2013284)
Victoria Square bête noire – 1962 As part of the Civic Trust Scheme to improve the town centre (1962), new street lamps were installed and put up in March and April of that year; the old lamp (on the right) as not yet been removed. The ‘Echo’ bill-stand at the foot of the lamp-post was one of the town’s enduring images of the 1960s. This was the pitch of Malcolm Howells, an ex-pupil from Mardy School, and the inveterate vendor on this spot for years - regardless of the weather. Mr Howells eventually became the proprietor of the Copper Kettle. (photo: RCT Libraries; blurb: Gerald Richards)
Monday Night in 1913
Monday Night in 1913 (20130560)
(RCT Libraries/Aberdare Leader)
Postal
Postal (20130559)
Now ask yourself the 'Good Old Days' or Bad old days... (RCT Library/Aberdare Leader.)
Death of the Landlord of the Prince of Wales Hotel
Death of the Landlord of the Prince of Wales Hotel (20130558)
I am only just discovering the story of this particular gentlman, .....he was a member of that famouse 'Cor Mawr' the English people had never heard a 'Male Voice Choir' before......more to come... (RCT Library/Aberdare Leader)
Sad death of a capcoch boy..
Sad death of a capcoch boy.. (20130557)
the sort of accident underground...never a simple scratch? (RCT Library/Aberdare Leader)
New doctors scheme
New doctors scheme (20130556)
Miners were asked by the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal co. would you like a resident 'Doctor and a surgery' in the village, (this will be on going as I find out more)Sept 2013 (R.C.T. Library/Aberdare Leader)
Re-starting Abercwmboi Colliery
Re-starting Abercwmboi Colliery (20130555)
Taken from the Aberdare Leader of 25th May 1907 (R.C.T. Libarary Aberdare Leader)
Original Aberaman Institute
Original Aberaman Institute (2013275)
The original Aberdare Institute and Free Library, 1903. Part of the Plough Pit (far right) shows just how integrated society and industry in the village were. Although the pit closed for coaling in 1875, it was still maintained as a pumping station, and during the drought of 1893 water from the colliery was used for watering the streets of Aberaman. (Photo: RCT Libraries; blurb - Gerald Richards)
Site of the toll gate
Site of the toll gate (2013274)
A view from where the toll gate was approximately located – Blaengwawr pub on the left, before the bend - Henry Street on the immediate right. The Aberaman (or lower village) Gate became redundant with the abolition of turnpike tolls in South Wales on 1 April 1889, and the gate house “this last vestige of the ancient and obnoxious impost” (Aberdare Times – 8 March 1890) was demolished the following year. (Gerald Richards)
Ynyslwyd Road - one way only
Ynyslwyd Road - one way only (2013273)
Ynyslwyd Road - one way only! In June, 1868, a servant to Mr Griffith Davies, Ynyslwyd, was charged with trying to avoid paying the toll at the Aberaman Gate (just below the Blaengwawr Inn) by driving up Ynyslwyd Road and coming out the other side of the gate! Mr Davies argued that he owned the land, and that he had a right to ride upon his own property. A month later the magistrates gave judgement in favour to Mr Davies. (Merthyr Telegraph – 6 June, 11 July 1868) Today, with the one way jurisdiction, Mr Davies and his servant would be obliged to pay toll before going into Aberdare! (Gerald Richards)
Old St Elvan's
Old St Elvan's (2013265)
St Elvan’s – 31 October 1864 from a series of etchings produced by Rock and Co., London The angle of the view in the etching is a little deceptive – the lady and gentleman are walking towards the gate which leads out into the bottom end of Canon Street (just in front of where Halford’s old shop was). Allowing for a little artistic liberty, and a sharp turn of the head to the left, the tall buildings in the background could be the rear of the top end of Canon Street where several large premises (including the Glandare Woollen Mill Factory and Halewood’s Boot Factory) were located. The site of the Rock Brewery (now the Rock Grounds) would be to the right - and behind - of St Elvan’s. (photo: courtesy of RCT Libraries) (photo: RCT Libraries; blurb: Gerald Richards)
Bedford Street - uphill
Bedford Street - uphill (2013263)
In reply to a letter that appeared in the Aberdare Times in December 1873 complaining about the state of the roads in Aberdare during the winter, a correspondent from Aberaman retorted that the roads in Aberaman were equally as bad in summer as well as in winter: ‘What about Bedford-street, Chapel-street, Mason-street, Mount Hill-street, Regent-street, Commerce-place, and the masterpiece of Llanthewy-street? That would require a man to possess a walking stick similar to that carried by Shenkyn Penhydd, before he could say I am half right for this road.’ (Aberdare Times – 6 December 1873) Twenty years later (there were eleven houses in Bedford Street) it was estimated that it would cost £410 to repair the road, although – under the Private Street Works Act, 1892 – the Local Board of Health was under obligation to repair only the middle section of the road at an estimated cost of just under £92. By May 1896, this important access road, connecting the lower end of Cardiff Road to the top of Regent Street and Godreaman, was sufficiently pedestrian to encourage the Rev. Morgan Powell to apply for planning permission to build a Mission Room here. (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Woodland Terrace
Woodland Terrace (2013261)
Woodland Terrace On 5 February 1874, the surveyor for the Local Board of Health reported that he had received building plans from the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company asking permission to build 28 houses ‘on the Aberaman estate, near Fforchneol, to be called Woodland Terrace.’ Aberdare Times – 7 February 1874 (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Before the cinema
Before the cinema (2013258)
Believe it or not, this was where the ‘Rex’ cinema would later stand. According to the Merthyr Times (26 September 1895), the varying costs of a burial about this time were: Merthyr – 6 shillings (30p); Newport, 5 shillings, 8½d (28.6p); Aberdare – 4 shillings 5½d (22.3p); Cardiff – 3 shillings 6¾d (17.5p); Rhondda (joint area) – 5 shillings 5½d (27.3p): Ferndale and Treorchy, 2 shillings 9½d (14p). On a lighter note (looking at the lamp): Gas, as a means of public lighting, was eventually phased out in the 1890s and electricity installed in its place. (photo: courtesy RCT Libraries; blurb – Gerald Richards) (photo:RCT Libraries; blurb: Gerald Richards)
The Heathcock, Aberdare
The Heathcock, Aberdare (2013256)
The Heathcock Inn on the left (‘Heath Corner’), and Pen Francis, tailor and outfitter – previously site of the Free Library - on the other side. Following a demolition and reconstruction programme in the early 1970s, the sites became part of the St Mair’s Day Centre and the Health Centre complexes respectively. (photo: courtesy RCT Libraries) (photo:RCT Library; blurb: Gerald Richards)
St John's Ambulance 1973
St John's Ambulance 1973 (20130537)
On their way to join the Aberdare Carnival 14th June 1973 (John Howells - St John's)
Making way for Tesco's
Making way for Tesco's (2013251)
Making way for Tesco’s in town – c1974 (RCT Libraries)
Brook Street, Aberaman
Brook Street, Aberaman (2013249)
Brook Street In 1896, the Aberdare District Council gave permission for an extra thirty-five houses to be built here (thirty-two ‘in continuation’ of the street by the Greenhill Building Club, and three by Messrs Hopkins and Prosser). (Gerald Richards)
next