Search results

 Organ, Capel Gwawr, Aberaman
Organ, Capel Gwawr, Aberaman (20160020)
These places were enormous and spectacular, and when full with people singing and all five manuals going. You thought you were some where else...... (Alun)
the Nick - Nacky pit Treman pit 1974
the Nick - Nacky pit Treman pit 1974 (20150023)
This really is only a building (middle left) of what remains of the pit, behind Fred Jones garage in Gas Lane Aberaman, over the street of cottages the top of the ' The Swan Hotel' in the distance The Aberaman Hall & Institute both no longer there.... (R.C.T Libraries )
 the Brick Works, Aberaman 1930
the Brick Works, Aberaman 1930 (20140587)
1930 aeroplane picture of the Aberaman Brick Works., bottom left the 'Care takers House', and the 'Club house' that later became the Welfare Club. Rugby Club. Then replaced by a Housing Estate. (Gerald Richards (blurb Alun))
Description of the Institute
Description of the Institute (2013289)
A description of Aberaman Institute (Aberdare Leader - 19 June 1909)
Has anyone seen my bike?
Has anyone seen my bike? (2013288)
Bike rally - outside the Temple Bar, June 2008. (RCT Libraries G.R.)
Peter Pan’
Peter Pan’ (2013287)
Beacons Players production of ‘Peter Pan’ at the Aberaman Grand Theatre - no date (RCT Libraries. G.R. )
Aberaman Hall and Institute
Aberaman Hall and Institute (2013286)
Aberaman Hall and Institute - opening the Grand (photo: RCT Libraries; text: Aberdare Leader 1915)
The old footpath
The old footpath (2013283)
The old footpath – from Cwmbach to Aberaman (Gerald Richards)
Cobden Street - uphill
Cobden Street - uphill (2013278)
Uphill Cobden Street – Valley View at top (Gerald Richards)
Plough Pit winding-house
Plough Pit winding-house (2013276)
The old winding-house of the Plough Pit (Gerald Richards)
Original Aberaman Institute
Original Aberaman Institute (2013275)
The original Aberdare Institute and Free Library, 1903. Part of the Plough Pit (far right) shows just how integrated society and industry in the village were. Although the pit closed for coaling in 1875, it was still maintained as a pumping station, and during the drought of 1893 water from the colliery was used for watering the streets of Aberaman. (Photo: RCT Libraries; blurb - Gerald Richards)
Site of the toll gate
Site of the toll gate (2013274)
A view from where the toll gate was approximately located – Blaengwawr pub on the left, before the bend - Henry Street on the immediate right. The Aberaman (or lower village) Gate became redundant with the abolition of turnpike tolls in South Wales on 1 April 1889, and the gate house “this last vestige of the ancient and obnoxious impost” (Aberdare Times – 8 March 1890) was demolished the following year. (Gerald Richards)
Ynyslwyd Road - one way only
Ynyslwyd Road - one way only (2013273)
Ynyslwyd Road - one way only! In June, 1868, a servant to Mr Griffith Davies, Ynyslwyd, was charged with trying to avoid paying the toll at the Aberaman Gate (just below the Blaengwawr Inn) by driving up Ynyslwyd Road and coming out the other side of the gate! Mr Davies argued that he owned the land, and that he had a right to ride upon his own property. A month later the magistrates gave judgement in favour to Mr Davies. (Merthyr Telegraph – 6 June, 11 July 1868) Today, with the one way jurisdiction, Mr Davies and his servant would be obliged to pay toll before going into Aberdare! (Gerald Richards)
School uniform!
School uniform! (2013272)
School Uniform! Oaklands Primary School (RCT Libraries - undated)
HAYFIELD BANS
HAYFIELD BANS (2013271)
The Hayfield notice: no playing golf, riding a motorbike, or trotting, cantering or galloping your pony on the turf. In other words: Don't tee-up, rev up, or gee up! (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Music on the mountain
Music on the mountain (2013270)
Music on the mountain (Gerald Richards)
Champion cyclists
Champion cyclists (2013269)
Champion cyclists (photo: RCT Libraries; article - Gerald Richards)
Castle Inn chimney and sign
Castle Inn chimney and sign (2013255)
Castle Inn chimney and sign (Gerald Richards)
Arthur Linton, champion cyclist
Arthur Linton, champion cyclist (2013268)
Arthur Linton, champion cyclist from Aberaman (photo: courtesy of RCT Libraries – no date) (RCT Libraries)
What old roads are made of
What old roads are made of (2013267)
The composition of the old road leading past Farrell’s and across the river includes various-sized pieces of iron-smelt slag from Crawshay Bailey’s works next door. There used to be a large chunk of it on the side of the road leading up to North View Terrace (on the left hand side of the top bridge) which must have weighed about half a ton. (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
The old road, Aberaman
The old road, Aberaman (2013266)
the old road (just past Farrell’s) going over the original Aberaman bridge – Forge Row and Cwmaman Road in the background. (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Castle Inn
Castle Inn (2013264)
The Castle Inn opened in 1853, the first licensee being James Dagger. After his death in 1865 the license was transferred to Mrs C. Dagger, and less than three weeks later the premises were burgled (only a small amount of cash - less than a pound - and four bottles of spirits were stolen from the counter area, and the person arrested was subsequently released for lack of evidence). Access to the cellar and rear of the Castle was gained via the archway in Lewis Street (known as ‘Dagger’s Court’, or ‘Dagger’s Yard’). It is now a private residence. (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Bedford Street - uphill
Bedford Street - uphill (2013263)
In reply to a letter that appeared in the Aberdare Times in December 1873 complaining about the state of the roads in Aberdare during the winter, a correspondent from Aberaman retorted that the roads in Aberaman were equally as bad in summer as well as in winter: ‘What about Bedford-street, Chapel-street, Mason-street, Mount Hill-street, Regent-street, Commerce-place, and the masterpiece of Llanthewy-street? That would require a man to possess a walking stick similar to that carried by Shenkyn Penhydd, before he could say I am half right for this road.’ (Aberdare Times – 6 December 1873) Twenty years later (there were eleven houses in Bedford Street) it was estimated that it would cost £410 to repair the road, although – under the Private Street Works Act, 1892 – the Local Board of Health was under obligation to repair only the middle section of the road at an estimated cost of just under £92. By May 1896, this important access road, connecting the lower end of Cardiff Road to the top of Regent Street and Godreaman, was sufficiently pedestrian to encourage the Rev. Morgan Powell to apply for planning permission to build a Mission Room here. (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Jimmy Michael
Jimmy Michael (2013262)
Jimmy Michael SLOW DOWN, ABERAMAN, SLOW DOWN! One of the leading cycling stars of his day, and described as ‘the finest cyclist in the world’, Jimmy Michael was brought up in Woodland Terrace. On one occasion – whilst touring America (1897) – the police in Boston had to stop him training on the track on a Sunday because the large crowd of spectators who had come to see the ‘Boy Wonder’ became more and more enthusiastic and boisterous as he increased his speed with each successive lap. Apparently, the volume of noise engendered by the audience as they watched the ever-accelerating Aberaman lad was considered too boisterous for a Bostonian sabbath-day. (photo: courtesy RCT Libraries; blurb: Gerald Richards) (photo: RCT Libraries; blurb: Gerald Richards)
Woodland Terrace
Woodland Terrace (2013261)
Woodland Terrace On 5 February 1874, the surveyor for the Local Board of Health reported that he had received building plans from the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company asking permission to build 28 houses ‘on the Aberaman estate, near Fforchneol, to be called Woodland Terrace.’ Aberdare Times – 7 February 1874 (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Preparing the table
Preparing the table (2013260)
Preparing the table - the beautifully terraced allotments of Valley View (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Top of George Street
Top of George Street (2013259)
Top of George Street - the steps going up to the main road on the left of Hill House (if you left your climbing gear at home there was always the lane on the top right-hand side which cut across the backs and short circuited to Regent Street) (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Beauty on the Line - Tonllwyd
Beauty on the Line - Tonllwyd (2013257)
Beauty on the Line: Tonllwyd Houses The stuff that chocolate-box and biscuit-tin imagery is made of! (What a difference a day makes – compare this with the posting of 21 March) (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
Cardiff Road with Chemist shop
Cardiff Road with Chemist shop (2013254)
Cardiff Road – Shepherd’s Chemist on the right. Arthur Linton, world champion cyclist, lived here. He started work in Treaman colliery (the ‘Nici-naci’), a few yards around the corner, when he was only ten years old. (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
George Street from Brynheulog
George Street from Brynheulog (2013253)
Letterbox view of George Street from Brynheulog Terrace. (Gerald Richards) (Gerald Richards)
next